Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Runescape Password Scams

Runescape password scams have been the bane of many players since Jagex first launched the game. It is something that all players should be aware of and is in fact part of jagex rules on the game, players should never reveal their password to anyone.

Recently I received an email from a player who had been scammed out of all their items. They contacted me through my main runescape help site instead of contacting Jagex directly. I do not always check my emails and as such it was a couple of days before I was able to get back to them and set them straight.

I will point this out - I am not a member of Jagex team and the role I have is simply running a runescape help site. I cannot access information on runescape player accounts and I cannot help players with any issues related to the game. Players who are a victim of any runescape scams should contact jagex via their main website - www.runescape.com

Anyway, back with the runescape password scam. This player had revealed their password to an ingame friend who later raided all the items in their bank. They obviously regretted giving out their password - but they had revealed it.

I feel sorry for people who get duped into revealing their runescape password, but there is nothing I can do and nothing that Jagex will do either. It is against their rules and they may end up banning both the person who revealed their password and the person who obtained it.

One of the easiest ways to avoid scams is to not reveal the information scammers are trying to extract. It will make it a lot easier for everyone concerned, players in general, me and Jagex. Runescape scams and scammers will continue to exist, but players should learn not to voluntarily give out helpful information to scammers.

No comments: